Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Tempest's Legacy (Jane True book 3) by Nicole Peeler

 

Can Tempest's Legacy really only be the third book in this series? So much has happened, and I know so much about this world, it seems as if it should be the fifth book. But it is, indeed, the third.

I rated the first book in this series a 9 of 10, the second book an 8 of 10, and I believe the third book, Tempest's Legacy, hits a home run with a 10 of 10.

There are no spoilers here for Tempest's Legacy, but if you haven't read the first two books in the series then you should probably stop here and read my review for Tempest Rising and Tracking the Tempest.

In Tempest's Legacy Jane is finally coming into her powers, and is beginning to feel more confident about who she is. I've wanted this for her from the beginning, so I was very happy to see this side of Jane.

We've seen a bit of a love triangle since the beginning, and let me say that I'm pretty happy with the events of Tempest's Legacy where that is concerned, too.  I can't wait until August when the next book, Eye of the Tempest, comes out. I also can't wait to see the cover for it.

Speaking of the covers - I almost didn't read this series because of the covers. Now that I'm into the series, I love the covers. They tell us so much about the books, and do such a good job of reminding me what was in each book, just by looking at the cover. The cover artist deserves serious kudos.

But back to a review of what is in the book: We see most of the people we've met in previous books, including plenty of Ryu and Anyan. We also meet some very interesting new people.  People who make this world that much more interesting, and who are probably going to play important parts in future events.

I also love where the author is taking the metaphysics of this world. I can't say much more without spoiling, so I'll stop there.

Here's the blurb:

After a peaceful hiatus at home in Rockabill, Jane True thinks that her worst problem is that she still throws like a girl - at least while throwing fireballs. Her peace of mind ends, however, when Anyan arrives one night with terrible news . . . news that will rock Jane's world to its very core.

After demanding to help investigate a series of gruesome attacks on females -- supernatural, halfling, and human -- Jane quickly finds herself forced to confront her darkest nightmares as well as her deepest desires.

And she's not sure which she finds more frightening.

I love the worldbuilding in this very unique series. Also, the main story arc threading its way through the books gives a lot of room for thought. Nicole Peeler has created a fantastic world, with good characters making their way through this world.

As for the writing elements:
  • There are multiple plots, some carried forward from previous books. They are all good. I was pleased with the ending, even though Ms. Peeler threw a few unexpected curve balls near the end.
  • Pacing had a few rough spots, but nothing major.
  • Prose and dialogue were beautifully done. Expertly done. I love Jane's snarkiness, and I am in awe of the way Ms. Peeler brings her world to life for us.
  • Character development is fantastic.
  • I can't say enough about the world building. Seriously. And I love that this is our world - my world. I laughed so hard at the digs at Paula Deen that I had to stop and explain to my husband why I was laughing so hard I was snorting.
I've already said that Tempest's Legacy is going to get a 10 of 10 from me. I'm tempted to take the series there, but I think it remains at a 9 of 10 for now.

  • Book Rating: Tempest's Legacy: 10 of 10
  • Series Rating: Jane True series: 9 of 10





1. Tempest Rising
2. Tracking the Tempest (July 1, 2010)
3. Tempest's Legacy (January 1, 2011)
4. Eye of the Tempest  (August 1, 2011)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment