Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Review: The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jensen, Guardian, Bk 6) by Keri Arthur


I'm sad that this is the last published book in the series. I have to wait another five months for the next book.

Book six starts with Riley dealing with her broken heart and learning to fly. Oh, and chasing down bad guys. This book is pretty much nonstop action. She stops for coffee a few times, but that's pretty much it.

There was actually a good deal of completion in this book, but I won't spoil what happens. 

The Darkest Kiss doesn't have them wondering into a palace with sadistic games, or sneaking into over-the-top-BDSM clubs, so there is none of that. The two murder plots are pretty rough though, with lots of gore and violence. And a few new mythical creatures.

I hope that the author doesn't continue to use that as a plot device, the "I thought those were only a legend" mythical creature thing that no one at the Directorate has ever had to deal with before. The last two books have been full of them. On the one hand it's nice to see myth's come to life, on the other hand, I think doing so every book will become too predictable.

I won't talk too much about Riley's romantic life. She has to deal with what happened in the last book and figure out whether she can risk her heart again. There is very little sex in this book.

Riley and those close to her are still growing and changing and figuring life out. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for it to be released.

I'm giving The Darkest Kiss an 8 of 10. The series remains a 9 of 10

Book Rating: 8 of 10
Series Rating: 9 of 10





1. Full Moon Rising (2006)
2. Kissing Sin (2007)
3. Tempting Evil (2007)
4. Dangerous Games (2007)
5. Embraced by Darkness (2007)
6. The Darkest Kiss (2008)
7. Deadly Desire (March 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment