Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Local Habitation (October Daye Book 2) by Seanan McGuire

 


A Local Habitation is book two of the October Daye series. I enjoyed the first book, Rosemary and Rue, and had high hopes for the second installment. Unfortunately, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. While I was reading the book there was a lot of frustration and annoyance. I knew the killer very early in the book, and wanted to scream the clues out to Toby (short for October).

Upon completing the book, I liked it, and I appreciate it more than I could while reading it. But the enjoyment factor wasn't there with A Local Habitation.

The pacing was horrible. Terrible. I think the author was trying to give the slow build up you get in modern day horror movies, but it didn't work. It was just slow.

The plot ended up being good, but while you were reading it the plot was pretty weak.

Most of the character development is well done, but there are issues (for me) with the relationships between characters. Not just romantic relationships, but relationships in general... friends, liege-to-subject, family, and possible romance. I like Toby, but how can she possibly not see some of what is happening? She's smart, she should be able to figure this out. It frustrates me when I can see what's going on and a character can't.

I am looking forward to reading An Artificial Night, but there is also some trepidation there. If the third book lives up to the first then I'll be looking forward to the fourth. If not, I'll probably be done with the series.

I love the worldbuildng, and I love the really cool metaphysics/magic that can happen in this world. I also love all of the various types of Fae that are brought so vividly to life in the series. But I'm not up for people who are so blind to what is going on around them. It's frustrating, it's not entertaining. To try to explain without giving spoilers: we the readers are being hand fed that there are romantic interests between two people, but the two people are obviously not seeing it themselves. It's one of those huge turn-offs in a book, or series, for me.

I love the world building, so I really hope the author resolves the frustration factor in the next book. I'm giving A Local Habitation a 7 of 10, and I'll give the series an 8 of 10.

Book Rating: A Local Habitation: 7 of 10
Series Rating: October Daye: 8 of 10






1. Rosemary and Rue
2. A Local Habitation
3. An Artificial Night (Sept 2010)
4. Late Eclipses
5. The Brightest Fell
6. Ashes of Honor
7. One Salt Sea
8. The Winter Long

No comments:

Post a Comment