Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Witch In Time (Bewitching Mystery #6) by Madelyn Alt

 


I feel torn about giving this review, because it's not going to be a great review, and I really want to like this series. The Bewitching Mystery series has a lot going for it, but so far there is something that falls short. I'm not 100% sure I can define what doesn't work, but I'm going to try.

I've rated all of the books in this series a 6 of 10, with one exception, and that was a 7 of 10. And yet I continue to read new books as they come out. I like the characters, I like the basic premise of the series, and I enjoy the author's voice. There is some entertainment value, but the Bewitching Mysteries book are not what I'd call really good books.

Unfortunately, I think that A Witch in Time may be the weakest yet as far as plot goes, though there are a lot of good things that happen as far as series arcs go.

I originally thought I would give A Witch in Time a 5 of 10, but then I realize that Maggie is growing, and is accepting more and more of herself. I believe (or hope) that this book is a transition book in the series. There are conversations with Marcus that get put off for other, more pressing concerns. When Maggie and Marcus get around to having those conversations, Maggie is going to have to confront exactly what is happening with her powers, and she is going to have to 1) come to terms with them and 2) learn the best way to handle them.

I'm just going to assume I'm right about this being a transition book, the stage where Maggie gets new abilities but hasn't figured that out yet, and the next book will be about her dealing with them. With that assumption I can give the book a 6 instead of a 5.

Book Rating: A Witch in Time: 6 of 10
Series Rating: Bewitching Mysteries: 6 of 10




1. The Trouble with Magic
2. A Charmed Death
3. Hex Marks the Spot
4. No Rest for the Wiccan
5. Where There's a Witch
6. A Witch in Time

No comments:

Post a Comment