Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Werewolf Smackdown (Felix Gomez Book 5) by Mario Acevedo

 

The Felix Gomez series has been entertaining, but it has not been one of my favorite series. It's been a mostly enjoyable read, but not to the extent of being something I have to read as soon as it comes out. So when Werewolf Smackdown came out, it wasn't a book I was willing to pay full price for. I waited to find it used at a good price to read it, and I'm really glad I didn't pay full price for it.

I like Felix well enough, but I'm not attached to him. And there really aren't any secondary characters that stick around long enough to become attached to, either. The worldbuilding is interesting, the plots aren't bad, and there is enough action to keep me from putting the book down for good. But the books don't really stand out for me.

Felix has grown and changed a decent amount since the first book. He's learned a lot about the world of supernaturals, and he's come into his own power. But I think it's time for him to do more than that. He seems to be at a point where he's spinning his wheels now.

Here's the blurb:

WEREWOLF SMACKDOWN puts undead PI Felix Gomez right in the middle of a supernatural battle for power, one that will wake the ghosts of Charleston and could destroy both human and undead if he’s not careful. A civil war is brewing between rival werewolf factions and Gomez will do anything he can to ensure this conflict doesn’t turn into an all out battle that will make the supernatural underworld explode. But between that, the sudden reappearance of an ex-girlfriend, and several other vampires trying to take off his head, this is one rumble even a vampire detective may not be able to handle.

I'm giving Werewolf Smackdown a 6 of 10. I've given the series a 7 of 10 in the past, and I'll keep the series rating as is.

Book Rating: Werewolf Smackdown: 6 of 10
Series Rating: Felix Gomez: 7 of 10




1. The Nymphos of Rocky Flats
2. X-Rated Bloodsuckers
3. The Undead Kama Sutra
4. Jailbait Zombie
5. Werewolf Smackdown

No comments:

Post a Comment