Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BBAW 2010 - Unexpected Treasure

 
Earlier this year I was stuck in the rut of reading my favorite authors, and that meant that I had suddenly run out of Urban Fantasy books to read.

Then I came across the Debut Urban Fantasy Challenge at Dark Faerie Tales, and suddenly there was a lot of things for me to read.

Here are the new series I've reviewed this year that qualified for the Debut Challenge:
  1. Spider's Bite, Web of Lies, and Venom (Elemental Assassin books )by Jennifer Estep  (my reviews  10 of 10)
  2. Shadow Blade, and Shadow Chase (Shadowchasers) by Seressia Glass (my reviews  10 of 10)
  3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (my review  5 of 10)
  4. Gentlemen Prefer Succubi, and Succubi Like it Hot (Succubus Diaries) by Jill Myles (my reviews  9 of 10)
  5. Frost Moon (Skindancer) by Anthony Francis (my review  10 of 10)
  6. Embers by Laura Bickle (my review  5 of 10)
  7. Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law) by J.A. Saare  (my review  8 of 10)
  8. Mind Games (Justine Jones, Disillusionist) by Carolyn Crane (my review  8 of 10)
  9. Master of None  by Sonya Bateman (my review  6 of 10)

There are also a number of new series I've read that don't qualify for the challenge, since the first book came out last year. However, since I didn't discover the series until this year, and they are a new series this year for me, I'll list them here, even though I haven't counted them towards the challenge:
  1. Black Sun's Daughter series by M.L.N. Hanover:  Unclean Spirits and  Darker Angels   (my reviews  10 of 10) 
  2. Allie Beckstrom series by Devon Monk:  Magic to the Bone, and Magic in the Blood, and Magic in the Shadows, and Magic on the Storm   (my reviews  8 of 10)
  3. Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter:  Skinwalker and Blood Cross  (my reviews  10 of 10)
  4. October Daye series by Seanan McGuire:  Rosemary and Rue, and A Local Habitation, and An Artificial Night  (my reviews  First book was an 9 of 10, second a 7 of 10, and the third was incredible and was a 10 of 10 )
  5. Jane True series by Nicole Peeler:  Tempest Rising and Tracking the Tempest (my reviews  9 of 10)

Of the series I've read so far, I loved the Skindancer/Dakota Frost series, the Elemental Assassin series, and the Jane Yellowrock series; and I highly recommend those three.

.

3 comments:

  1. I've only read Spider's Bite by Estep, but am looking forward to reading more of that series.I'll have to check out your review for the Jane Yellowrock series, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I haven't read any of these yet! I did just put Rhiannon's Law on my TBR list, and it keeps popping up this week, so that's probably an indication that I need to bump it to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The three best series are Frost Moon, Elemental Assassin, and Jane Yellowrock. All three were way way way better than the first Rhiannon's Law book. I'm probably not going to read the second Rhiannon's Law book - not unless it gets rave reviews and the issues I had with the first book are quickly resolved in the second.

    ReplyDelete