Earlier this year I was stuck in the rut of reading my favorite authors, and that meant that I had suddenly run out of Urban Fantasy books to read.
Then I came across the Debut Urban Fantasy Challenge at Dark Faerie Tales, and suddenly there was a lot of things for me to read.
Here are the new series I've reviewed this year that qualified for the Debut Challenge:
- Spider's Bite, Web of Lies, and Venom (Elemental Assassin books )by Jennifer Estep (my reviews 10 of 10)
- Shadow Blade, and Shadow Chase (Shadowchasers) by Seressia Glass (my reviews 10 of 10)
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (my review 5 of 10)
- Gentlemen Prefer Succubi, and Succubi Like it Hot (Succubus Diaries) by Jill Myles (my reviews 9 of 10)
- Frost Moon (Skindancer) by Anthony Francis (my review 10 of 10)
- Embers by Laura Bickle (my review 5 of 10)
- Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law) by J.A. Saare (my review 8 of 10)
- Mind Games (Justine Jones, Disillusionist) by Carolyn Crane (my review 8 of 10)
- Master of None by Sonya Bateman (my review 6 of 10)
There are also a number of new series I've read that don't qualify for the challenge, since the first book came out last year. However, since I didn't discover the series until this year, and they are a new series this year for me, I'll list them here, even though I haven't counted them towards the challenge:
- Black Sun's Daughter series by M.L.N. Hanover: Unclean Spirits and Darker Angels (my reviews 10 of 10)
- Allie Beckstrom series by Devon Monk: Magic to the Bone, and Magic in the Blood, and Magic in the Shadows, and Magic on the Storm (my reviews 8 of 10)
- Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter: Skinwalker and Blood Cross (my reviews 10 of 10)
- October Daye series by Seanan McGuire: Rosemary and Rue, and A Local Habitation, and An Artificial Night (my reviews First book was an 9 of 10, second a 7 of 10, and the third was incredible and was a 10 of 10 )
- Jane True series by Nicole Peeler: Tempest Rising and Tracking the Tempest (my reviews 9 of 10)
Of the series I've read so far, I loved the Skindancer/Dakota Frost series, the Elemental Assassin series, and the Jane Yellowrock series; and I highly recommend those three.