Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, Book 3) by Lilith Saintcrow




The Devil's Right Hand is the third of five books in the Dante Valentine series. The third book was much better than the second book, which I didn't really enjoy.

This book begins what I'm betting will be a three book arc. The end of The Devil's Right Hand did not resolve the plot points started in this story. It just kind of ended with no resolutions. But, those plot points were darn good.

I have a feeling the end of this series is going to give you the same feeling as the end of The Sting, where you think you have an idea of what is going on, but you really don't.

Here is the blurb from the author's site.

Dante Valentine, Necromancer and bounty hunter, just wants to be left alone. Too bad the Devil has other ideas.

Dante and her lover, Japhrimel, have no choice but to answer the Prince of Hell’s summons to fulfill a task: become the Devil’s Right Hand, hunt down four demons that have escaped from Hell, and earn Lucifer’s gratitude.

Pretty simple, right? Except nothing is simple where the Devil is concerned, and this time Danny might finally be in over her head…

There are two more books in this series to tie everything up. I am quite interested in how the author is going to do that.

In the meantime, I don't really know how to rate this book. The Devil's Right Hand doesn't complete anything, so I feel like I need to read the next books in order to properly rate it. But, since I haven't read those books, I need to just rate it as best I can. It was much better than the second book, and I think I like where it is going.

I'm going to give The Devil's Right Hand an 8 of 10. But I think I'm going to keep the series at a 7 of 10. I can easily see the series rating going to an 8 if the next two books tie all of the plots up nicely, but I need to see it all tied up before I can do that.

Book Rating: 8 of 10
Series Rating: 7 of 10





1. Working for the Devil
2. Dead Man Rising
3. The Devil's Right Hand
4. Saint City Sinners
5. To Hell and Back

No comments:

Post a Comment