Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Finger Lickin' Fifteen Excerpt


Janet Evanovich has added onto the excerpt she'd previously put up for Finger Lickin' Fifteen, the latest Stephanie Plum novel due to be released on June 23rd.

I'm pretty sure that Stephanie and Morelli were fine at the end of the previous books, so I'm not sure why they seem to be on the outs again at the beginning of this book. But, it looks like there may be some Ranger action as a result, so I'm game.

You can go to the page with the excerpt on the author's site, or you can download the pdf directly from the author's site.

In Fearless Fourteen there was a conversation that basically said Ranger wasn't happy with where his and Stephanie's relationship had gone, that maybe he needed to reevaluate things, but that it wasn't going to happen on that day. So this book has Stephanie broken up with Morelli and working with Ranger on a daily basis, and I have to wonder if we aren't going to see Ranger make an attempt to change the nature of his relationship with Stephanie. If he could get over his commitment issues (or, whatever his issues are) then I think they could be great together.

Ranger doesn't try to change Stephanie, he likes her for who she is. Not who he wants her to be. I don't always feel that way about Morelli, so as much as I like Morelli, I'm not sure he's the right one for Stephanie.

But, can the author ever let Stephanie pick one guy and stay with him? I don't know. I'd like to think so, but she's survived so long on the triangle thing, I'm not sure she'd even try. I've stated before that if this book isn't a bit of an improvement over the past few books that this will be the last book I'll purchase new in this series. I will continue to read it, but I will do so with used books once they only cost a few dollars. I really hope that this book is back to the caliber of the first ten or so books.

To see more excerpts, go to my excerpt page.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to buy Stephanie and Morelli as a legitimate, long term couple. He just seems to be the bad habit she can't break. Ranger... now there's something special. I'm trying not to get my hopes up on this book. I did that last year, and fourteen was horrible. I'm starting to think Evanovich is never going to give any kind of resolution to the Ranger/Stephanie relationship... ever. She'll flirt and tease and hit us where it hurts, but it's never going to go anywhere. That distrust sucks the fun right out of it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Libby, Morelli does seem to be a habit she just keeps going back to at this point. After breaking up and getting back together so many times, at some point you have to realize it's not going to work long term without frequent breaks and maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

    I also worry that the author doesn't intend to ever stop the triangle thing she's got going on. And it really is getting old. Something has to give soon. Ranger spends a lot of money keeping Stephanie safe, and I don't really buy the "entertainment" thing. He cares for her, he just needs to admit it and do something about it.

    I completely understand the distrust thing you talk about. That's why I say that whether or not I continue to buy new books in this series strongly hinges on what happens in this book.

    ReplyDelete