Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Where There's a Witch (Bewitching Mysteries, No. 5) by Madelyn Alt




Where There's a Witch
is book five of the Bewitching Mysteries series.

After book four, I thought I was done with this series, but I saw it used for a couple of dollars, so I decided to pick it up.

Once again, I knew who the killer was long before Maggie did, and yet she and I had the same information. I won't go so far as to say TSTL, but the annoyance factor is there.

The love triangle thing was (again) frustrating. Until the end of the book, and then there was (gasp) promise that things may be changing in the next book. Promising enough for me to buy the next book on release day? Nope, not that promising. But, promising enough for me to track the next book and then read some reviews and see if I want to buy it.

The books could be good, but they just don't quite do it for me. Maggie needs to learn more about herself, she needs to stop being clueless about life in general, and she needs to... I don't know.. stop floating through life and take the bull by the horns, I guess. The dialogue is good, there is comic relief placed appropriately, and there is some thought given to pacing (it's not great, but not terrible, either). But the love triangle is very badly done, and the plots are way too transparent. And the magical theory stuff, the metaphysics, is dragging, too. There was promise in the beginning of the series, I saw the whole "when the student is ready the teachers will appear" thing happening.. but the teachers aren't teaching. And Maggie isn't learning.

I'm giving Where There's a Witch a 6 of 10, and I'm leaving the series at a 6 of 10.

Book Rating: 6 of 10
Series Rating: 6 of 10





1. The Trouble with Magic
2. A Charmed Death
3. Hex Marks the Spot
4. No Rest for the Wiccan
5. Where There's a Witch (July 7, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment