Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Charmed Death (Bewitching Mysteries, No. 2) by Madelyn Alt



A Charmed Death
book two of the Bewitching Mysteries series, is once again your basic paranormal chik-lit book. As with the first book, there is a mystery to solve while a 30-ish woman is beginning to learn about the world of energy and spirits and a bit of wicca.

We still have the friend upstairs, and the controlling mother. Maggie's new friends play a bigger part in this book, and I'm happy to see it.

Here's the blurb:
Maggie O'Neill was just your average small-town girl, stuck in a dead-end job until she started working at Enchantments, Stony Mill's finest antique shop with a unique mystical secret. Now Maggie is Indiana's newest witch. Learning to cope with her newfound powers is tough enough, but add to that keeping the stock at Enchantments organized, keeping the peace with her somewhat controlling mom, and remembering to tape reruns of her favorite show, Magnum, P.I., and Maggie's got a full plate.

But when a second questionable death occurs a scant two months into her store tenure, she can't turn her thoughts away from all the town gossip about the teenage princess and the mysterious circumstances surrounding the girl's charmed life and death. While the police get caught up in procedure and logic, Maggie uses every trick, charm, and intuition she can summon, with the assistance of her favorite witchy boss Felicity Dow, to get to the heart of this spellbinding murder.

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. In this case? Get witchy!



I'm not really sure what's going on with Tom and Marcus. My choice would be Marcus, but Maggie thinks he's spoken for. I don't really think I like Tom that much, but we don't really know him that well yet, so perhaps there is more to him than I think.

I am hoping to see Maggie grow, the reviews of later books talk about that, and since I'm tired of the series out there where the main protagonist does not grow (like Stephanie Plum) I'm really hoping this series gives me what I'm looking for: someone who learns and grows and doesn't just stagnate as she is.

But so far, the first two books have been a 6 of 10 for me, and that's what I'm giving the series after two books, also.

Book Rating: 6 of 10
Series Rating: 6 of 10





1. The Trouble with Magic
2. A Charmed Death
3. Hex Marks the Spot
4. No Rest for the Wiccan
5. Where There's a Witch (July 7, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment