Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dancing With Werewolves (Delilah Street; Paranormal Investigator) by Carole Nelson Douglas




I wanted to like Dancing with Werewolves. I really did. I did enjoy the first third or so of it, so much that I went ahead and ordered the second book, Brimstone Kiss, before finishing the first book.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the second two thirds of the book as I enjoyed the first third.

The worldbuilding in this book is most definitely different. An interesting premise, to be sure. Or rather, several interesting things. Before I go much further I'll give you the blurb:

It was the revelation of the millennium: witches, werewolves, vampires and other supernaturals are real. Fast-forward 13 years: TV reporter Delilah Street used to cover the small-town bogeyman beat back in Kansas, but now, in high-octane Las Vegas - which is run by a werewolf mob - she finds herself holding back the gates of Hell itself. But at least she has a hot new guy and one big bad wolfhound to help her out...


Delilah is an interesting character, as is the film director and the sexy Latino boyfriend. I'm having a bit of trouble putting a finger on what the problem was, but I think it might be the fact that it just seems to ramble and wonder and meander around all over the place.

I like the characters (mostly), I'm unsure about the plot, and I like the worldbuilding. There were too many things unresolved, though. I know it's the beginning of a series and things are supposed to be unresolved for the next book, but in my opinion there were just too many things left hanging.

I will be reading the second book in the series, Brimstone Kiss, since I've already purchased it.

I give Dancing with Werewolves a 5 of 10.

Book Rating: 5 of 10





1. Dancing with Werewolves
2. Brimstone Kiss
3. Vampire Sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment