Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Revenge of the Spellmans: A Novel by Lisa Lutz




I'm starting to get used to the "report" style of the books in this series, and this one was much easier for me to read than the first two books.

Revenge of the Spellmans gives us the same cast of characters from previous books, but I'm happy to say that some personal growth is happening with several characters. If there was no growth then I don't think I could stomach it, but several characters in the book seem to be getting a bit of a clue, so it's good. Very good. Surprisingly Good.

There were a few laugh out loud moments in this book, but I will never compare the series to the Stephanie Plum series, as other people tend to do. For one thing, Izzy is good at what she does and Stephanie is not. For another, this series just isn't as funny as the Plum series. I'm good with that though because this series is gaining more substance than the Plum series has ever had.

There is a rather lengthy blurb for this book at Lisa Lutz's site and I won't bother to do a cut and paste here since it is so long. Suffice it to say that this book is a logical extension from the previous books and the plot, okay make that multiple plots, are good. Good enough that if the next book was available I'd have already ordered it and would be watching for the brown truck.

I'll give Revenge of the Spellmans a 9 of 10 and will raise the series rating to an 8 of 10.

Book Rating: 9 of 10
Series Rating: 8 of 10

I've got this series in Crime Thriller, but that's mainly because it fits best with what I've already got to choose from. I don't really know what genre to put it in.







1. The Spellman Files: A Novel (2007)
2. Curse of the Spellmans: A Novel (2008)
3. Revenge of the Spellmans: A Novel (2009)
4. The Spellmans Strike Again (March 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment