Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Better Off Undead (Bloodhound Files book 4) by DD Barant

 

Since Jace seems to be the only Human in law enforcement, and one of the rare humans on the planet she is now inhabiting... I've wondered if the author may eventually need to make her a supernatural. I didn't expect it to come this soon, but the title of the book,Better Off Undead, made me think it was going to happen.

I did not read the blurb before I read the book. And I'm glad I didn't.  I'm posting the blurb here, but I'll warn it is kind of a spoiler, so if you don't want to have a good idea of what is going to happen, you may want to skip below it.


Dark magic, unknown enemies, monsters of every stripe--FBI profiler Jace Valchek has seen it all. In this bizarre parallel universe, shape-shifting werewolves and blood-thirsty vampires don't even warrant a raised eyebrow. That is, until Jace has to face what life might look like as one of them ...

It starts off as just another run-of-the-mill assignment: to track down the rogue don of a mafia werewolf family before he upsets the delicate balance of the underworld. But Jace wasn't counting on being bitten...and soon she's fighting the growing wolf inside her with a startling antidote--vampirism. Stopping a bloody gangland war won't be easy when Jace is feeling some new, and very inhuman, desires ...

As for the writing elements:
  • The plot was a good one. Closely tied to previous books without being a rehash of old stuff.
  • Pacing was fine.
  • Prose and dialogue were fine.
  • Character development was a big focus of this book -- both for Jace and for several other characters.
  • World-building continues to be detailed and creative and in some cases rather mind bending as you work around the metaphysics of it all.
I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Something happens that I think was probably intended to happen since the beginning, but it's something I didn't want to see happen. I think it's going to cause complications later on, but I can also see how it might be good for Jace in the short term. Maybe.

I'm going to give Better Off Undead a 9 of 10, and I will raise the series rating from an 8 to a 9. There were no major time jumps or dimension surfing in this book, and I appreciated that.

    • Book Rating: Better off Undead: 9 of 10
    • Series Rating: 9 of 10




     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment