Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bonds of Justice (Psy/Changeling #8) by Nalini Singh

 

We've met Max before, when he was investigating the missing Shine kids. And we've learned a little bit about the J designation before, the Justice Psy. I had a pretty good idea of how this book was going to play out, and as far as the romance portion, I had it mostly right, minus an important twist. As far as the things happening in the overall world though, there were many surprises.

I will say, once again, that I'm not normally a fan of straight out paranormal romance. The Psy-Changelings series has reeled me in because of the incredible world building, and because of the story arcs that take place as the various couples are coming together. I am glad that I re-read the entire series before Bonds of Justice came out. There is much going on with the Council that I've forgotten about, and a few things I'm not sure I picked up on in my first reading.

As for the main story line in Bonds of Justice... it was okay. Once again we get a twist, an important twist that will be very important in later books when Silence starts to break down on an even larger scale and the.... maybe I shouldn't say that part. Don't want to give spoilers. So, I'll just say that the resistance gets a pretty important chess piece.

This is the fourth Psy female that we've watched break Silence and fall in love with a man. Unless there was some twist to it, I couldn't see how it was going to be that good of a book. Well, this is Nalini Singh, so of course there are twists.

However, I enjoyed Bonds of Justice more for the information we get on the story arcs, not so much because of our couple. And I was annoyed at the end because there are more loose ends after Bonds of Justice than I believe we've ever had at the end of a Psy-Changelings book. We only have four months until the next book, Play of Passion, which will be Indigo and Drew's book. We haven't seen two wolves join yet, have we? We've seen a wolf and psy, and a wolf and cat, but not two wolves.

How do I rate Bonds of Justice? I've been going back and forth on that. On the one hand, this is a very important book in the overall series -- a lot happens outside of the relationship stuff. But, on the other hand, the romance portion didn't really have a whole lot of surprises for me. I won't go so far as to say it was cut and dried, but it followed a very similar formula to the other 'psy female learns how to love' books in the series. I've gone back and forth between a 7 and an 8, and in the end I'm going to give it an 8 of 10. I will leave the series at a 10 of 10 for now, though.

Book Rating: Bonds of Justice: 8 of 10
Series Rating: Psy-Changelings: 10 of 10

We know we get Indigo and Drew's story next in Play of Passion, and then (finally) we get Hawke's story. Hawke's story has been building for a while, and I'm starting to think that Hawke's book is going to be a little like Archeron's book - Hawke is almost god-like as far as the pack is concerned, and his story has been built up for so many books that there are going to be a lot of expectations about it. Archeron didn't disappoint, I have high hopes that Hawke's book won't, either.

I've got a lot of thoughts about Kaleb after reading Bonds of Justice. I won't give spoilers, so all I'll say is that I'm pretty intrigued, and I hope we aren't teased much more in Play of Passion.

Here are the books in the Psy-Changeling series:




  1. Slave to Sensation
  2. Visions of Heat
  3. Caressed By Ice
  4. Mine to Possess
  5. Hostage to Pleasure
  6. Branded by Fire
  7. Blaze of Memory
  8. Bonds of Justice
  9. Play of Passion (11/2/10) 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment