Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Home Improvement: Undead Edition

 

While several of my favorite authors have stories in Home Improvement: Undead Edition, the truth is that I got this book for the October Daye story by Seanan McGuire.

I'll talk about the stories I read:

If I Had a Hammer by Charlaine Harris
Another Sookie and Sam story. The short in the The Sookie Stackhouse Companion (reviewed yesterday) is also a Sookie and Sam story. I said yesterday that I think Ms. Harris may be trying to set us up for a Sookie and Sam HEA as we near the end of the series. Or, she could be throwing us curve balls. Either way, it was an okay story - a 7 of 10.  The Sookie short I reviewed yesterday was much better than this one.

Gray by Patricia Briggs
A vampire story, set in Chicago, but in Mercy Thompson's Universe, so we are already familiar with the rules. I believe it is all new characters, if they've been mentioned I don't remember them. It was a good story, 9 of 10.

The Strength Inside by Melissa Marr
This one was creepy, with the ending reminding me of a few of the Twilight Zone episodes. The story was okay, but the ending was great. I'm pretty sure that if Melissa Marr wants to build a fence that her homeowner's association isn't going to argue with her.  9 of 10.

Through This House by Seanan McGuire
Toby!! What a great story. One Salt Sea comes out next week, this was a great appetizer for the main event. The story easily gets a 10 of 10 from me.

Stories I didn't read:
  • Woolsley’s Kitchen Nightmare by E. E. Knight
  • The Path by S. J. Rozan
  • Rick the Brave Stacia Kane
  • Full-Scale Demolition Suzanne McLeod
  • It’s All in the Rendering by Simon R. Green
  • In Brightest Day by Toni L.P. Kelner
I'm not going to rate the book as a whole since I didn't read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment