Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Friday, September 2, 2011

One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, Book 6) Jeaniene Frost

 

The first three books of this series put it at the top of my list - it was my favorite series for a long while. It's still in the top ten, but no longer my favorite. 

With that being said, I enjoyed One Grave at a Time more than I thought I was going to.  I thought we were set up for the plot at the close of This Side of the Grave. I was kind of right, but that was actually a minor plot arc, not the major one.

In some ways, this was a bridge book, it sets us up for what I see coming as the next big series plot arcs. But I'm okay with that, it was a good book.

One of the best things it had going for it was that Cat and Bones are together, their relationship is solid, and they work great together.

Here's the blurb:

Having narrowly averted an (under)world war, Cat Crawfield wants nothing more than a little downtime with her vampire husband, Bones. Unfortunately, her gift from New Orleans' voodoo queen just keeps on giving--leading to a personal favor that sends them into battle once again, this time against a villainous spirit.

As for the writing elements:
  • The plot was good, if a bit predictable for much of the book. I thought I knew the basic general ending, and I was mostly right. But with a great storyteller, that's okay.
  • Pacing was well done. I love how Jeaniene Frost tends to take her characters out of the action for a bit to let them reconnect. She blends action and non-action together beautifully.
  • Prose and dialogue were flawless, beautifully written.
  • Character development continues to be well done and very three dimensional.
  • World-building was consistent with other books. Not much new in this one, but that's okay.
 One Grave at a Time gets a 9 of 10 from me, and I'll keep the series as a 10 of 10.
  • Book Rating: One Grave at a Time: 9 of 10
  • Series Rating: 10 of 10
Night Huntress Novels
1. Halfway to the Grave (2007)
2. One Foot in the Grave (April 2008)
3. At Grave's End (December 2008)
4. Destined for an Early Grave (July 2009)
5. This Side of the Grave (Feb 22, 2011)
6. One Grave at a Time (Aug 30, 2011)


Night Huntress Universe 
1. First Drop of Crimson (Feb 2010)
2. Eternal Kiss of Darkness (July 27, 2010)


Night Prince / Vlad and Leila series
1. Once Burned (March 2012)
 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this series and Bones and Cat are my two favorite characters ever. I just wish this book would have been as good as its counterparts. Heres to crossing my fingers and hoping the rest of the series gets back on track!

    ReplyDelete