Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Naked in Death (In Death, Book 1) by J.D. Robb

 

I realize I'm late to this series, but I've heard a lot about it so I figured I'd check the first book out. I enjoyed Naked in Death, and I'm going to read the second book, but I'm not so sure I'll want to keep going from there.

I appreciated the futuristic descriptions, though I doubt we'll be quite as far along as she says we'll be in another fifty or so years. Back in the seventies we were pretty sure we'd have flying cars before the year 2000. That date is long past and I'm still driving on asphalt. Still, her world building was enjoyable.

As for the mystery, it was twisted in a variety of ways, and I still knew who the murderer was about half-way through the book.

I like Eve, and I look forward to getting to know her better in the next book. I also like Roarke, and it appears there is just as much to learn about him as there is to learn about Eve.

Here's the blurb:

Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant using her instincts to hunt for a ruthless killer. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish billionaire—and a suspect in Eve’s murder investigation. But passion and seduction have rules of their own.
 
As for the writing elements:
  • The plot was good, even if I did figure out who did it way before I think I was supposed to.
  • Pacing was well done.
  • Prose and dialogue were well done.
  • Character development was handled nicely.
  • World-building was interesting, including the politics of this futuristic world.
I didn't have to think very hard about a rating for Naked in Death. It was well written and kept me engaged, but it wasn't good enough for a ten. It's a pretty solid eight.
  • Book Rating: Naked in Death: 8 of 10 

I won't give a series rating after one book.

No comments:

Post a Comment