Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Harry Dresden is a wizard. He lives in Chicago and he advertises in the yellow pages. This is another one that takes place in a hypothetical real world where humans don't know supernatural things exist.

This series eventually pulls in pretty much every supernatural critter out there: wizards, vampires, incubi/succubi, trolls, fairies, werewolves, ghosts, demons... and many more I'm sure that I'm missing.

Some are Harry's friends, but most are not. Most are creatures he has to fight in order to save humans. Or, often, to save himself.

These books are written by a man, where most of the books of this genre are written by a woman. And I think it makes for a refreshing change. While there is some romance, it's not an over riding theme, and what is there is more matter-of-fact than sweep-you-off-your-feet. These books are primarily about action and danger and consequences. And there is a lot of all of that.

This is also one of my top ten favorite series.

Series Rating: 7





 

Backup is due to be released this fall, and is supposed to be written from the perspective of Thomas instead of Harry.


 

The Sci-Fi channel did one season. They went away from the books in several different ways, but it was still a decent series. This is a DVD of the entire first (and only) season.



1 Storm Front (2000)
2 Fool Moon (2001)
3 Grave Peril (2001)
4 Summer Knight (2002)
5 Death Masks (2003)
6 Blood Rites (2004)
7 Dead Beat (2005)
8 Proven Guilty (2006)
9 White Night (2007)
10 Small Favor (April 2008)
11 Turn Coat (April 2009 )

1 comment:

  1. Isn't Harry Dresden fantastic? I'd say best male protagonist I've ever read. I just started reading Small Favor, so I'm a bit behind, but I love these books.

    You ever listen to the audiobooks? They're the best audiobooks I have ever read (I listen which jogging).

    ReplyDelete