Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bitten & Smitten (Immortality Bites, Bk 1) by Michelle Rowen

I made it through the book, but I almost put it down a few times. And part of the reason I made it to the end was that it was the only book I had with me as I sat through my daughter's dance class.

For starters, the heroine in this book is just TSTL. Seriously. She's shallow (the pink Diva shirt on the cover should have clued me in), she's not very bright, and she doesn't think about what she's doing or what the ramifications of her actions might be. The only thing she has going for her is that she speaks her mind and tries to keep even the bad guys from getting killed, so she at least has a moral code. But that's pretty much it.

As for the book, there is a lot wrong with it. For starters, the characters aren't very deep. I mean, Sarah and Quinn are written as shallow people who don't really think things through, I know they are supposed to be shallow. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that the character development isn't done very well. That part is shallow.

Sarah supposedly sees the light and becomes un-shallow at one point, but it doesn't seem to last very long.

And then the relationship stuff. I felt that there was more between Sarah and Quinn than Sarah and Thierry, and yet she chose Thierry. It was like it came out of left field. (Select the spoiler text to view it.)

And then the plot was.. well, it went all over the place, and not in a good way.

And what was with the evil scientist anyway? None of that made sense. He's got this underground lair, but he's human? He hates vampires but has a werewolf for a pet? And then he suddenly decides to help the people he was about to kill? (Select the spoiler text to view it.)

I like to always find something positive about a book. Even a book I didn't like. I'm having a very hard time doing that with this book. It didn't flow, the plot could have worked but it didn't, the characters weren't developed enough for their actions to make sense in many cases, and some of what I think was supposed to be funny, wasn't.

I'm giving it a 2 out of 10. It was that bad. I won't even try to give it a series rating after one book.

Book Rating: 2 of 10


1. Bitten & Smitten
2. Fanged and Fabulous
3. Lady and the Vamp
4. Stakes & Stilettos

No comments:

Post a Comment