Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, Bk 5) by Kresley Cole


After the last book I had concerns about this book. I had enjoyed the series up until then, and was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it anymore, and that I wouldn't find out how things turn out. I mean, I didn't like the fourth book. Not even a little bit. If I hadn't read the first three before it, I'd have put it down somewhere between pages 50 and 100, never to pick it up again. I disliked it so much that I put off reading this one for a bit. My fears were unwarranted though; this book brought things back to normal. I enjoyed it, and there were even another few LOL parts.

Here's the blurb:

A seductive beauty he can never have, yet can't resist...

Cadeon Woede will stop at nothing to atone for the one wrong that will haunt him forever. But once he secures the key to his redemption, the halfling Holly Ashwin, Cade finds that the woman he thought he could use for his own ends and then forget haunts him as much as his past.

A tormented warrior she should fear, but can't deny...

Raised as a human, Holly never knew that some frightening legends are real until she encounters a brutal demon who inexplicably guards her like a treasure. Thrust into a sensual new world of myth and power, with him as her protector, she begins to crave the demon's wicked touch.

Surrender to dark desires...

Yet just when he earns Holly's trust, will Cade be forced to betray the only woman who can sate his wildest needs -- and claim his heart?


We've met Cade before and know a bit of his history already. We saw him watching Holly at the end of the last book, and I had an idea of where things were going. Or, at least, I thought I did. Turns out, I didn't. But that's a good thing, books really aren't as much fun if you can guess where they are going.

This book doesn't really take us a great deal farther where the Accession comes, but I guess it does help line a few more factions up on either side. And I've a feeling that the events of this book will matter a great deal when the fighting actually starts breaking out in a big way.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read. A good plot, likable characters, funny parts, romantic parts, tender parts, rough parts, and I especially liked the part where the girl can take care of  herself and doesn't need a stinking man to save her. (Select the spoiler text to view it.)

The only sad thing here is that the next book doesn't come out until February.

Book Rating: 8 of 10
Series Rating: 8 of 10





1. A Hunger Like No Other
2. No Rest for the Wicked
3. Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night
4. Dark Needs at Night's Edge
5. Dark Desires After Dusk
6. Kiss of a Demon King (Release date Feb 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment