Home Series Ratings - Quick View Excerpts Anxiously Awaiting Review Policy Disclosure Policy

Reviews of books in a series, with a focus on urban fantasy.
Other genres include mystery, paranormal romance, and crime thrillers.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hunter's Moon (Nightcreature Novel, Bk 2) by Lori Handeland


This series is apparently going to jump around as to who the main character is. The main character in the last book is in this book, but she's a supporting character this time. That threw me at first, as I was reading "me" as it being Jesse and was a bit confused, and then someone called her Leigh and I realized what the problem was.

The premise here is that Leigh's family and fiance' were brutally killed by werewolves and now she's a werewolf hunter. Her life is strictly about killing them. Revenge. There is no other purpose in her life, and she does not really care if she lives or dies. She says this gives her an edge, as her enemies realize she'll die before she lets them live. She's found a way to cope with the past, and she thinks that this is probably as good as it's ever going to get. This is her life. She goes from town to town and kills werewolves. She was trained by the best, our friend Edward Mandenauer.

And she works alone. That is, until Edward orders her to train Jesse, the main character from our last book. Leigh refuses, but Edward tells her she doesn't have a job if she doesn't do it. So, she packs her things and heads that way.

There isn't much more I can say that won't be a spoiler, so I'll stop there. I enjoyed this book even more than the first, and there were no glaring flaws this time that made me have to suspend belief.

I'm giving the book an 8 of 10. I am also going to give the series an 8 of 10 after reading only two books, but part of that is because after reading the excerpt for the beginning of the third book I am convinced the series is likely to hold my attention in a good way.

I bought the first two books in this series to try it out, based on my enjoyment of Any Given Doomsday, the first book of The Phoenix Chronicles. I'm going to buy the next three books in the Nightcreature series and see how I like them before buying the final three.


Book Rating: 8 of 10
Series Rating: 8 of 10





Blue Moon (2004)
Hunter's Moon (2005)
Dark Moon (2005)
Crescent Moon (2006)
Midnight Moon (2006)
Rising Moon (2007)
Hidden Moon (2007)
Thunder Moon (2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment